A slip and fall accident can put you in the hospital, and in a worst-case scenario, cause permanent damage. A slip and fall can cause a serious back injury, broken bones, or even head trauma. In addition to medical bills and a long recovery, you might face a loss of employment. Owners and managers are required to ensure their properties are maintained in a safe condition. The Alhambra slip and fall lawyers at the Salamanti Law Firm work hard so that you may receive the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
After a slip and fall accident, you may receive a settlement offer from the property owner’s insurance company. Never agree to a settlement offer without contacting a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer. Insurance companies want to settle for as little as possible, but personal injury lawyers know the amount of a fair settlement. What may seem like a reasonable amount of money from the insurance company will often not pay for the long-term care and related expenses. We fight aggressively for your rights and investigate all aspects of your case.
Where Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
Slip and fall accidents may occur anywhere, but they are most likely to occur in the following places:
- Supermarkets, malls and chain stores – wet floors and poorly lit parking lots often contribute to slip and fall accidents in these venues.
- Hotels and resorts – swimming pools, elevators, stairwells, lobbies, and other public places must be meticulously maintained.
- Government-owned public areas – claims against government entities have different laws and statutes of limitations than slip and falls occurring on private property.
- Private properties – homeowner’s insurance comes into play for victim compensation when an accident happens at a private home or property.
- Rental properties – the tenant or the landlord may prove responsible for the slip and fall, depending on the situation.
- When slip and fall accidents occur at work, they are usually covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance.
California Statute of Limitations
In California, slip and fall victims must file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the date of the incident. If the lawsuit is not filed within the statute of limitations, it cannot go forward in court.
Slip and Fall Damages
Under California law, compensation, or damages, for a slip and fall accident may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Keep in mind that the property owner may claim the accident victim is partly responsible for the accident. For example, the defendant may claim the plaintiff was wearing inappropriate footwear, contributing to the fall. Under California’s comparative negligence doctrine, such circumstances may reduce the amount of compensation by the percentage in which the plaintiff is considered liable. If the plaintiff is found 20 percent liable for the slip and fall, for example, any damages awarded are reduced by that amount.
While most cases are settled out of court, a slip and fall attorney in Los Angeles will present your case before a jury, if necessary.
Contact Alhambra Slip and Fall Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident due to another party’s negligence, you need the services of an experienced personal injury attorney at the Salamati Law Firm. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. There is no fee unless we win.