If you were injured in an MTA bus accident, then the team of Lancaster bus accident lawyers at Salamati Law stand ready to discuss your case and give you all the information you need to decide if moving forward with a lawsuit is the right decision for you and your family.
The many causes of bus accidents
Let’s say that the driver of a passenger car collides with an MTA bus, causing multiple injuries to bus passengers. Following the crash, the driver of the car fails a sobriety test and is arrested for DUI. While it’s easy, based on this limited information, to jump to the conclusion that the drunk driver is liable for any injuries or damages resulting from the crash, issues of liability in bus crashes are rarely as simple as they may first appear. Here’s why:
- Liability can fall on more than one party: For example, here in California, our legal system recognizes “joint and several” liability, in which multiple parties may share responsibility for an accident.
- The cause of the accident may have nothing to do with the drivers of the vehicles: In 2017, a Wisconsin study found that 30% of state school busses had defects, while 10% were actually removed from service due to safety issues. This suggests problems with the vehicle maintenance crews or possibly the manufacturer.
- Getting to the bottom of an accident requires a full investigation: All too often, people jump to conclusions based on media reports or online rumors that may be misleading and not entirely based in fact.
Remember, only judges and legal professionals are qualified to reach legal conclusions. This is why pursuing an injury case is best left to a qualified Los Angeles bus accident attorney.
Reconstructing a bus accident
Accident reconstruction is essential for pursuing maximum compensation. Here are some of the factors the investigators may consider:
- Skid mark patterns: Which can reveal facts such as the speed of the bus, the reaction time of the driver, and the path the bus took during the crash.
- The condition of the bus itself: This means a painstaking inspection of the vehicle, including the condition of the brakes, tires, steering mechanism, and potential blind spots.
- The driver’s health and state of mind: Studies show that factors such as age, medical conditions, and use of drugs (either legal or illicit) can impair a person’s ability to operate a bus.
- Environmental factors: Including the weather, time of day, and contributing causes such as potholes or other road surface hazards.
As you can see, getting to the bottom of a bus accident is a complex and specialized task. This is yet another reason to trust your case with a skilled bus accident lawyer.
But how do you choose the right Lancaster bus accident lawyers to handle your case? Here’s why the Salamati firm is an excellent choice:
- We have the right resources: Our relationships with investigators, expert witness, and accident reconstruction specialists allow us to get at the truth, even when others try to sweep it under the rug.
- We have the right experience: Sean F. Salamati founded our firm back in 1995. Since then, we’ve built a well-deserved reputation for legal and investigative excellence.
- We have the right values: That’s why we offer free consultations and contingency terms. Our attorneys only collect their fees if you win your case.
Contact us today for a free case review. We work on a contingency basis, meaning that our clients owe us no fees unless we recover money on their behalf.