Yes, it is possible to sue the City of Los Angeles for an MTA bus accident. However, the time you have in which to file a claim against a civic entity is usually limited to 6 months from the date of the accident. Suing the city poses additional procedural obstacles, so it is crucial to hire a qualified Los Angeles MTA bus accident lawyer to help you navigate this process.
Let your attorney work for you
If you or a loved one is injured in an MTA bus accident, focusing on resting, healing, and recovering needs to be your top priority. The experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyers can take the burden of litigation off your shoulders during this upsetting period of your life and use our expertise and resources to demand just compensation from the City of Los Angeles on your behalf.
Challenges of suing a government entity
While you have the legal right to sue the City of Los Angeles for an MTA bus accident, there are logistical hurdles in place that are not necessarily present in other personal injury cases. Having the right Los Angeles personal injury attorney can make all the difference between major disappointment and a favorable settlement for you.
To come out on top in these cases, you need to know the following information:
- You must file a written claim within 6 months of the accident;
- Know what next steps to take if your claim goes unanswered, or is denied, rejected, or accepted;
- If your claim is denied, you must file a lawsuit within one year of the denial;
- In many bus accidents, valuable evidence that would help your case can be tainted or even destroyed forever if you do not hire qualified representation right away.
People who are victims of bus accidents
Some of the most common types of victims of bus accidents include the following:
- Pedestrians that are struck by a bus
- Drivers or passengers of another vehicle that are involved in a collision with a bus
- Passengers riding on a bus, especially those who are standing, walking, or seated without a seatbelt at the time of impact.
Common causes of bus accidents
Here are some common causes of bus accident injuries that the City of Los Angeles may be liable for:
- Bus driver error or negligence, including speeding, failing to obey stoplights or stop signs, failing to safely change lanes, or intoxication;
- Mechanical failures within the bus, such as faulty breaks;
- Abrupt stops, accelerations, turns, or swerves can be especially dangerous for the passengers on board.
Do not make this mistake
Make no mistake, the City of Los Angeles is a large and complex entity that will take every possible step to shield itself from your lawsuit and minimize your financial recovery. Attempting to go it alone or hiring an unqualified attorney to represent you can cost you and your family substantial dollars.
The best of the best
At the Salamati Law Firm, we have been representing Southern Californians for 25 years during some of the scariest and most stressful periods of their lives. Our Los Angeles bus accident lawyers know how to stand by our clients and fight against injustice. We have earned numerous million-dollar-plus recoveries on behalf of our personal injury clients.
Call today for your free initial consultation
We have the experience and knowledge to prevent the City from taking advantage of you and to help maximize your recovery after an MTA bus accident. The clock is ticking on your time to file a lawsuit against the city, so reach out today for your free consultation, and take comfort in knowing that you will not pay us anything unless you win.