There are many restaurants in Los Angeles, with almost every type of cuisine and ambiance. Whether you are out for a family dinner, a business function, or a wedding anniversary, you reasonably expect to enjoy the food and the company without incident. Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents can happen, even in the best restaurants.
How Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Because of the serious nature of some of these accidents, restaurant slip and fall settlements can be large. There are a number of common causes of slip and fall accidents, including the following:
- During inclement weather, the restaurant’s lobby may gradually become more and more dangerous as patrons track in the rainy weather. The restaurant must take reasonable steps to keep the floors dry or advise you of the wet surfaces.
- In crowded restaurants, food and beverage spills occur all the time, whether by a customer at their table or a server helping them. When a spill occurs, the restaurant is required to fix it as soon as is reasonably possible. However, in the meantime, it must either block off the slippery area or provide a clear warning to patrons of the danger.
- Most restaurants do their best to keep the restrooms clean, and part of that process includes mopping the floors. However, when the floors are mopped during business hours, the restaurant is required to either block off the area or again advise patrons that it could be dangerous.
These Accident Can Cause Serious Injuries
Some restaurant slip and fall victims only suffer from the temporary embarrassment associated with falling in public, but others may be seriously injured which may include the following:
- Fractured or broken bones, which are often incurred as a result of the victim trying to break their fall
- Ligament damage, as a result of the sudden jerking or twisting motion that your body experiences when it loses control in a slip and fall
- Neck, back, and spine injuries that are often caused by awkward or forceful falls onto your back
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) can occur when you slip and fall and hit your head.
Common Types of Damages in Restaurant Slip and Fall Claims
Slip and fall accident damages can be life changing. The physical and emotional pain caused by these accidents may be crippling. However, the financial fallout can add insult to injury. As your medical bills increase, you are also unable to work. Naturally, this affects almost every facet of your life. Some of the damages that you may pursue in a slip and fall restaurant lawsuit include the following:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
What to do in the Aftermath of Your Accident
If you are injured in a restaurant slip and fall accident, there are some steps that you can take to help maximize the value of your claim:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible
- Notify the restaurant’s manager that you fell and complete an incident report. Request a copy of the report or take a picture of it with your phone
- Take pictures of any injuries that you suffered
- Snap photos of the area where you fell, any objects that fell or moved as a result of your fall, and any security cameras that you can see
- Write down the contact information of restaurant staff or patrons who witnessed part or all of your fall
- Consult with an experienced Los Angeles slip and fall accident lawyer. They can explain your legal rights and provide an approximate financial value of your case
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
For more than a quarter of a century, our attorneys at Salamati Law have been fighting for the rights of injured victims, particularly in slip and fall cases that happen in restaurants. We leave no stone unturned in our quest for justice on behalf of our valued clients.
If you have been injured in a Los Angeles slip and fall accident, call us today to book a free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there are no upfront legal costs.