From Michelin Star restaurants to local haunts, Los Angeles abounds with great restaurants. A dining experience can quickly turn tragic, however, when a customer slips and falls and suffers a serious injury.
Salamati Law is a trusted legal ally for injury victims in Los Angeles, Long Beach, and throughout Southern California. We have obtained millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, including those injured in slip and fall and trip and fall accidents in restaurants and other businesses. We know how to handle these complex injury claims and we know how to win.
What to Do After a Restaurant Slip and Fall Accident
What you do after a slip and fall accident is not only important for your safety, but can also play a critical role in legal proceedings arising from your accident.
First of all, seek medical attention as soon as possible. You need to find out how serious your injuries are. Your fall may have inflicted injuries that are difficult to detect at first, such as a concussion or internal organ damage.
Next, if at all possible, do the following:
- Notify the restaurant’s manager that you fell and complete an incident report. Request a copy of the report or take a picture of it with your phone.
- Take pictures of any injuries that you suffered.
- Snap photos of the area where you fell, visible hazards, any objects that fell or moved as a result of your fall, and any security cameras that you can see.
- Write down the contact information of restaurant staff or patrons who witnessed part or all of your fall.
- Consult with an experienced Los Angeles restaurant slip and fall accident lawyer. A knowledgeable attorney can explain your legal rights and provide an approximate financial value of your case.
Failure to act can deprive you of the restaurant slip and fall settlement you are owed after a serious injury. By making the right decisions, like talking with a skilled Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer, you can place yourself in the strongest possible position for a favorable result.
Most Los Angeles restaurants keep their premises safe and well-maintained, but there are exceptions that place the safety of customers at risk.
Some of the most common causes of restaurant slip and fall and trip and fall accidents in Los Angeles include:
- Slippery floors and sidewalks caused by inclement weather
- Spilled food and beverages
- Freshly mopped floors
- Tripping hazards such as electrical cords
- Dark lighting, making it difficult to see obstacles
- Unmarked stairs or inclines
Some accidents cannot be blamed on anyone, but in many cases, a restaurant owner or other party is directly responsible for a customer’s injuries.
When hazards exist, restaurant owners and managers are responsible for removing them or clearly marking them as dangerous and off-limits. When they fail to do so and customers are injured as a result, it is a cause for a restaurant slip and fall lawsuit.
Who Might Be Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident in a Restaurant?
One of the key elements of restaurant slip and fall cases is determining who is liable for the injuries suffered by the fall victim.
In a restaurant slip and fall case, the liable party is typically the restaurant owner or manager, but fault may lie elsewhere, even if only partially.
Restaurant slip and falls may result from negligence by contractors who were conducting repairs at a restaurant or manufacturers of faulty safety features, such as railings.
In a complex slip and fall restaurant lawsuit, fault may lie with some combination of multiple parties. A skilled injury lawyer will carefully analyze the cause of an accident to identify all liable parties.
Premises Liability and Restaurant Accidents in California
Under California premises liability laws, victims of restaurant slip and fall accidents must prove the following to establish liability of the restaurant owner or other negligent party:
- The defendant (a restaurant owner, for instance) had control over the property at the time of the accident
- That person or entity was negligent in the care and maintenance of the property
- The plaintiff (the person visiting the restaurant) suffered harm
- The defendant’s negligence played a substantial role in the harm suffered by the injury victim
Restaurant owners are not going to admit liability easily. This is why it is so important to consult with a Los Angeles restaurant slip and fall lawyer who knows how to establish liability and how to get results for the injured.
A timely and aggressive investigation by a legal team can reveal signs of negligence that may otherwise go unnoticed.
Slip and Fall Accidents in Restaurants Can Cause Serious Injuries
Falls in Los Angeles restaurants can result in:
- Fractured or broken bones, which are often incurred as a result of the victim trying to break their fall
- Ligament damage, as a result of the sudden jerking or twisting motion that your body experiences when it loses control in a slip and fall
- Neck, back, and spine injuries that are often caused by awkward or forceful falls onto your back
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) that can occur when you slip and fall and hit your head.
Because of the serious nature of some of these accidents, restaurant slip and fall settlements can be large.
Be sure to keep obtaining treatment for your injuries and to follow your doctor’s orders. Keep track of all the ways this injury affects your life, as these specifics can make a big difference in your legal claim.
Restaurant Slip and Fall Settlements and Damages
The cost of a slip and fall accident can be life-changing. The physical and emotional pain caused by these accidents may last for years, even a lifetime. The financial fallout may also be overwhelming.
As your medical bills increase, you are also unable to work. Naturally, this affects almost every facet of your life.
Some of the damages that you may pursue in a slip and fall restaurant lawsuit include the following:
- Past and future medical costs, including surgery, hospitalization, rehabilitative therapy and emergency room care
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
How has this injury changed your life? Your restaurant slip and fall settlement should reflect the full extent of damages. If you don’t maximize your claim now, you could be left without much-needed financial resources in the future.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
You generally have two years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury claim in California. If you let the statute of limitations expire, you will lose the right to hold a restaurant owner or other negligent party responsible for your injuries.
Any delay in filing your claim could prove costly. It is advisable to act as soon as possible after a restaurant slip and fall accident, because crucial evidence may slip away as time passes.
Contact Salamati Law for a Free Consultation
For more than 28 years, Salamati Law has been fighting for the rights of injury victims, including people injured in slip and fall accidents that happen in restaurants. We leave no stone unturned in our quest for justice on behalf of our valued clients.
If you have been injured in a Los Angeles slip and fall accident, call us today or contact us online to book a free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there are no upfront legal costs.