FOOSH injuries in a slip and fall case are the injuries that result when you Fall On an Out-Stretched Hand. FOOSH injuries are common in slip and fall accidents when victims use their hand(s) to attempt to break their fall, and they can cause serious and even permanent harm to the victim’s fingers, hand, arm, elbow, or shoulder.
How Do FOOSH Injuries Happen?
The Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers at Salamati Law represent clients with FOOSH injuries on a regular basis. It is human nature to attempt to break your fall when you slip, but it often leads to painful and costly injuries in the victim’s upper body. That being said, slip and fall accidents often leave the victim in such a vulnerable position on the way down to the ground that the alternative – to not attempt to break the fall – is not much better, and may be even worse.
Common FOOSH Injuries
While any number of injuries may result from falling on an outstretched hand, here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the most common FOOSH injuries:
- Scaphoid fracture: This is the most frequently reported FOOSH injury, and it is a break of one of the eight small bones that make up the wrist. Swelling may or may not occur, but you will definitely experience pain on the thumb side of your broken wrist.
- Bruising: This is more common for light falls or falls on softer surfaces, and many FOOSH bruises will be on the victim’s palm. Bruising can entail pain, discoloration, and mild swelling on the victim’s skin.
- Cellulitis: This is a type of bacterial skin infection that occurs at the site of the FOOSH injury. It is more common in victims that are older, have compromised immune systems, or who have contaminated wounds caused by previous falls.
- Synovitis: An abnormal, painful swelling of a synovial joint that limits your range of motion.
- Shoulder dislocations: The impact of your fall may cause your shoulder to pop out of the joint.
- Broken collarbone: The impact of the fall may travel all the way up to your collarbone and fracture it.
- Hook of hamate fracture: The hamate is located on the pinkie side of the wrist and causes numbness or tingling in the pinkie or ring fingers, pain along the ulnar side of the wrist, a weakened grip, and pain when flexing the pinkie and ring fingers.
- Distal radioulnar joint fracture: This causes pain alongside the pinkie-side of your arm and is most pronounced when you are lifting. Some patients may hear a clicking noise or feel instability in their wrist when they push their hand against an object.
- Scapholunate tear: Unlike many other injuries, this FOOSH injury does not cause any physical deformities – just pain. However, it tends to continue causing pain over time and will not heal on its own.
- Radial or ulnar styloid fracture: This entails a fracture on either side of the wrist and, similar to a scapholunate tear, only presents as pain without any visual signs of trauma.
- Fracture of the radial head: This occurs right below the elbow and will present as wrist and elbow pain. If you have this injury, you may not be able to move your elbow.
- Distal radius fracture: Two examples here are a Smith’s fracture or a Colle’s fracture. This type of fracture typically includes swelling, bruising, displacement of bones, extreme pain along your radius, and pain when you attempt to move your wrist.
The Right Attorney Can Help You Navigate This Difficult Period
As you can see, some FOOSH injuries are relatively minor, while others are much more serious and may require surgeries and/or extensive physical therapy, and significantly impair the quality of your life for years. It is important to have an experienced Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer on your side to help hold the defendant accountable, ensure that you achieve the justice you deserve, and maximize your financial compensation.
You Deserve Results
If a property owner failed to keep their premises safe, and their negligence resulted in your FOOSH injury, you deserve to have an experienced and results-oriented Los Angeles personal injury attorney standing in your corner. If you have questions about FOOSH injuries in a slip and fall case, call Salamati Law today to arrange a free case review. You will not receive a single bill from us unless you win.