Slip and falls are common accidents. However, in some cases, you could sustain serious injuries, such as a broken or dislocated elbow. To be sure you get the compensation you deserve, you need the best slip-and-fall attorney in Los Angeles. You need the advocacy of the Salamati Law Firm.
Our highly-skilled slip and fall attorneys aggressively fight for your right to fair and reasonable compensation. You can focus on healing while we investigate the circumstances surrounding your fall, engage in settlement negotiations, or prepare for the possibility of a trial. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We’re happy to answer your questions and assess your case to see if you have a viable personal injury claim.
Types of Elbow Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Elbow injuries from a fall generally occur due to the negligence of a third party. For example, spills in grocery stores or restaurants, stairs that aren’t up to code, loose floorboards, debris, uneven floors, bad lighting, and more.
Possible injuries include the following:
- Fractures refer to cracks or breaks in bones. These most commonly occur after a sudden blow to the elbow, e.g., falling onto concrete. Note that you may be able to move your elbow after a fracture, which could increase the possibility of worsening it.
- Stress fractures refer to minor cracks in the bone that slowly worsen over time. Suppose you slip and fall and start to notice discomfort when using your elbow in strenuous activities. In that case, you may have a stress fracture.
- Sprains occur when the fibers in a ligament stretch or tear from a fall.
- Dislocations occur when one of the bones that form the elbow gets knocked out of place. This typically happens when you fall and try to catch yourself.
- Elbow breaks can occur after a slip and fall if you attempt to break the fall with your arms outstretched and open hands.
- Elbow hypertension most commonly happens when your arm is stretched out in front of you as you fall. This type of injury usually means a painful and prolonged recovery.
Symptoms of an elbow injury
Your fall on the elbow injury can be identified through the following symptoms:
- The symptoms of hyperextension are similar to elbow fractures, including pain and popping sounds, pain near the elbow when you straighten your arm, pain when you touch it, a muscle spasm in the bicep, loss of arm strength, and numbness.
- A dislocation is characterized by pain, swelling, bruising, a deformity, a feeling that the elbow is slipping out of the joint, or a numbness and tingling sensation.
- An elbow fracture may be recognized through swelling and bruising, extreme pain, stiffness in and around the elbow, hearing a snap or pop at the time of injury, a visible deformity, and numbness or weakness in the arm, wrist, and hand.
The Importance of Seeking Medical Attention for Elbow Injuries
Slip and fall injuries can be serious and should be treated as such. In the case of a broken elbow, the only way to officially diagnose it is by having a physical exam and imaging such as an X-ray. If not appropriately treated, injuries to the elbow may result in scarring, persistent pain, or even neurovascular complications. Elbow fractures and breaks can be treated with surgery, rest, and physical therapy. However, in some cases, multiple surgeries may be needed to heal it.
Aside from the importance of healthcare professionals confirming and treating your injury, it’s also crucial to your legal case as it may affect the amount of compensation available.
Compensation for Elbow Injuries
While recovery time is essential after an elbow injury, it usually means missing out on many things. You may be unable to drive, work, and participate in everyday activities. If your accident directly results from a property owner’s negligence, they could be held fully accountable for your losses. The average slip-and-fall settlement ranges from $10,000 to $60,000 in California.
You may be compensated for a loss of income, medical expenses, home modifications, loss of earning capacity, and pain and suffering.
How Salamati Law Can Help Your Recover
At Salamati Law, we are ready to help you prepare the most robust case possible. We know what it takes to hold negligent parties accountable. Because we have over 28 years of experience, you can trust our guidance and skill on slip-and-fall cases.
If you were injured and need help deciding what to do next, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We work on a contingency basis, so there are no upfront legal fees. We look forward to hearing from you.