Knee injuries in a slip and fall can cause debilitating pain that negatively impacts your working capacity and quality of life. When a knee fracture or tear is particularly severe, trust our team of Los Angeles slip-and-fall attorneys at Salamati Law Firm. We can fight for your right to fair and reasonable compensation to cover your damages and losses. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re happy to answer your questions and assess your case.
Building a Strong Case for Injury Claims
If your knee injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, such as an uneven sidewalk, poor lighting, or spilled liquid in a grocery store, then the responsible party may be liable for your injuries. However, you will need substantive evidence to support your claim.
After your fall, be sure to go to the emergency room. It’s essential for your health as well as creating an important paper trail documenting your accident. These medical records can include X-rays, doctor’s notes, pain prescriptions, and recommendations from surgery to rehabilitation.
Next, if possible, get the names and contact information of witnesses. Their testimony can be important for your claim. For example, they may have complained to management about a spilled container of milk at the grocery store, yet nobody attended to the hazard. You can also take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. Finally, tell management that you want to fill out an accident report.
Armed with this evidence, we negotiate with insurance companies because they often try to settle claims quickly and for as little money as possible. So it’s vital to have skilled representation advocating for your rights and who knows the value of your case.
You may be entitled to the following damages after your knee injury
- Your hospital and medical bills and expenses associated with the treatment you require to recuperate from your injuries
- Transportation and commuting expenses to get you to and from medical and therapy appointments
- Replacement of lost wages that you were not able to earn because of injuries that kept you from performing your regular job tasks
- Money you spent to modify your house to accommodate mobility limitations caused by your injuries
- Invoices from physical and occupational therapy services.
In California, the average settlement for slip-and-fall knee injuries ranges from $10,000 to $50,000. However, every case is different. The amount is usually based on medical expenses, the inability to work, or the necessity for long-term care.
Common Knee Injuries After a Fall
The most common slip-and-fall injuries that impact the knee are described below.
- Patellar Fracture. If you slip, you may try to break your fall by landing on your knees. Unfortunately, this may result in a break or fracture. The patellar is a small bone in front of your knee. Though each case is different, damage to the patella will usually require surgery.
- Torn Meniscus. A forceful twist or knee rotation can cause a torn meniscus. The meniscus is two-half moon-shaped cartilage pads that cushion the joints between the tibia and femur. This type of injury means that walking or driving is next to impossible.
- Torn MCL. Your MCL is a major ligament located on the knee’s inner side. A sudden and forceful turning or twisting can tear it. These injuries can occur in one of three grades, ranging from minor to severe. A minor stretch to the MCL will usually not require surgery, but a torn MCL most likely will need it.
- Torn ACL. The ACL is one of four main ligaments in the middle of the knee that stabilize it–like the MCL. A torn ACL may be partial or complete and occurs after hyperextension of the ligament. Usually, an injury to the ACL will not heal on its own and will require surgery.
Symptoms of a Knee Injury
The symptoms of a knee injury can manifest in various ways. For example, in a patellar fracture, the victim will experience bruising, pain, and swelling, resulting in an inability to walk. When suffering from a torn meniscus, expect pain, swelling, and stiffness. You may also have difficulty extending your knee.
In a torn MCL, symptoms may include a popping sound, pain, tenderness, stiffness, swelling, and feeling as though your knee will give out or lock or catch. A torn ACL will have the same symptoms as a torn MCL.
Contact Salamati Law Firm for a Free Consultation
We are conveniently located in downtown Los Angeles and are ready to help you when you need it most. We understand the financial stress of a severe knee injury. You may not be able to work and support your family—trust that we will leverage our considerable resources on your behalf. We work on a contingency basis, so there are no upfront legal fees.