In a perfect world, Los Angeles grocery stores would be safe and free from hazardous conditions. In reality, innocent shoppers suffer serious injuries all the time, whether due to spills, wet surfaces, or other hazardous conditions.
If you or someone close to you has suffered a slip and fall in a grocery store, you have rights and Salamati Law has the skill and experience to protect them. We are a proven leader in personal injury law for people in Los Angeles, Long Beach, and throughout surrounding California communities.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store
The most important thing to do after a slip and fall in a supermarket or grocery store is to get out of harm’s way and obtain medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, they might actually be more severe than you think, especially if you hit your head or may have suffered an internal injury.
Other things you can do that might strengthen a potential legal claim include:
- Writing down the name of the store, the address, and time of the accident
- Requesting to speak with the store’s manager and ask him or her to file an incident report
- Taking pictures of the accident scene, including the hazard that caused your accident
- Gathering the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident
There are things you can do that might hurt your claim as well. These include:
- Leaving the scene without telling anyone or filing a report
- Failing to obtain medical treatment
- Accepting a settlement offer too quickly
Always speak with an experienced slip and fall attorney in Los Angeles before making any statements to the store manager or an insurance company. They are looking out for their own interests and are only motivated to limit their own liability in this matter. They are not trying to help you, even if they make it sound like they are.
An attorney who knows how to obtain favorable grocery store slip and fall settlements can protect your interests and help you obtain a full financial recovery for losses stemming from your injury.
Salamati Law is on your side and wants what is best for you, your family, and your future.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Grocery Stores
One of the key elements in grocery slip and fall cases is to determine the cause of the accident. A thorough investigation by your lawyer may reveal:
- Wet surfaces on floors, including spilled liquids and produce
- Missing floormats, or floormats that are bunched up so they create a tripping hazard
- Cracks and potholes in floors, stairs, parking lots, sidewalks, and other surfaces shoppers walk upon
- Inadequate lighting, causing poor visibility
- Faulty railings
- Lack of treading on stairs
- Unexpected drops or inclines
Grocery store slip and fall cases can hinge on seemingly small details. The sooner an experienced lawyer can investigate the cause of the accident, the better chance you have of obtaining a favorable result.
A Store’s Liability for Slip and Fall Settlements
Where can injury victims turn to after a slip and fall in a grocery store?
Under California premises liability statutes, people injured due to a property owner’s negligence have the right to pursue compensation for their injuries, medical bills, and other hardships.
Suspecting a property owner was negligent and proving it in the legal system are different matters, however, and you may find yourself up against a powerful corporation with its own investigators and evidence.
How Do You Win a Grocery Store Slip and Fall Case?
The way you win a grocery store slip and fall case is by thoroughly investigating the circumstances of the accident and uncovering solid links between a store owner’s negligence and the injury suffered by someone who was visiting the store.
An aggressive investigation may uncover pivotal evidence in maintenance reports, surveillance footage, repair logs, eyewitness accounts, and other sources.
If the grocery store owner or manager knew about the hazard or should have known about it, and did not take action to fix the problem or warn customers about it, it has the elements of a successful personal injury claim.
With strong evidence in hand, a skilled personal injury attorney can begin negotiating on your behalf and applying maximum leverage on the store owner to help you obtain the largest settlement possible.
Common Injuries in Supermarket Slip and Fall Accidents
The injuries you suffer in a grocery or supermarket slip and fall accident can cause significant pain and hardship, leaving you with steep medical expenses, pain, suffering, and even disability.
Some of the most common injuries suffered in supermarket slip and fall accidents include:
- Head injuries: People who fall on slippery surfaces often strike their heads against shelves, counters, and other hard objects.
- Broken hands and wrists: In bracing for falls, accident victims often use their hands in an attempt to soften the blow. The sudden force of a fall on the delicate bones of a hand or wrist can result in painful and debilitating fractures.
- Spinal cord injuries: A grocery market fall can result in slipped discs, herniated discs, spinal fractures, and other serious back and neck injuries. Injuries to the spine can have a broad range of serious consequences, including pain, disability, loss of sensation, and even paralysis.
- Shoulder injuries: A blow to the shoulder can fracture the scapula or cause a painful rotator cuff injury.
No matter where you were injured, you should consult with a knowledgeable grocery store slip and fall lawyer to learn about what compensation may be available to you. Failure to take legal action could deprive you of the significant financial resources you need to make it through this difficult time.
Grocery Store Slip and Fall Settlements and Compensation
California personal injury laws allow victims of grocery store slip and fall accidents to pursue compensation for elements such as:
- Medical bills: These include but are not limited to expenses relating to doctor’s visits, surgeries, medication, physical therapy, and home health care.
- Lost wages: If your slip and fall injury has left you unable to work, you may pursue compensation for lost wages you have already incurred as well as projected wage loss stretching into the future.
- Pain and suffering: If your injury has left you with significant pain and diminished your quality of life, the law provides a pathway to obtain compensation for these non-economic damages.
- Emotional distress: People who suffer serious injuries may suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and other mental health impairments. These are also compensable in a grocery store slip and fall claim.
When you file a personal injury claim, it is your one chance to obtain the compensation you will need to pay for today’s needs and needs that may stretch far into the future.
It is of critical importance that you obtain the maximum amount of compensation available under the law. This is why it is so important to work with a personal injury lawyer who knows how to fight and knows how to win.
Turn to a Trusted Leader in Slip and Fall Claims
Grocery store slip and fall cases can be complex, but attorney Sean Salamati and our legal team have the skill and experience to successfully handle them.
To learn how we can help you with your grocery store slip and fall claim in Los Angeles or anywhere in California, contact us today for a free initial consultation.