Hard data shows that the use of motorcycle helmets saves lives – hundreds of them each and every day. Riding without the benefit of protective gear puts motorcyclists at increased risk for severe head injuries, lasting brain trauma and death. According to recent studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), helmet use among riders can prevent up to 37 percent of fatalities, and states with strict helmet laws – including California – report fewer motorcycle accident related deaths.
California Vehicle Codes 27802 and 27803 stipulate that all riders must wear safety helmets when operating or riding passenger on a motorcycle. Failure to do so can result in steep fines, but even more importantly, wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of injury. While many seasoned bikers relish the freedom of riding without a protective helmet, here are five compelling reasons why you should never hit the road without wearing one.
5 Reasons to Wear a Motorcycle Helmet
- Protection from serious head trauma – It doesn’t take a high speed collision to leave a biker with lasting injuries caused by head trauma. Even the smallest of spills can result in permanent harm when motorcyclists forgo a safety helmet. Bikers who wear helmets are three times more likely to survive a head injury compared to those who do not wear helmets, according to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration.
- It’s the law in California – California motorcycle laws state that it is illegal to operate a motorcycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a DOT compliant helmet. Motorcyclists who fail to wear helmets run the risk of being pulled over, ticketed and fined.
- Increased weather protection – Helmets with clear visors help to protect eyes from wind, dust, rain and sun glare, thus reducing vision impairments and increasing comfort. Furthermore, research has shown that motorcycle helmet use does not interfere with vision or hearing.
- Road debris protection – Road debris and environmental obstacles are of serious concern for all motorcyclists who may be forced to contend with rocks, gravel and other fallen materials from vehicles ahead. Helmets that are equipped with faceguards can protect the face and eyes from flying objects and debris that can cause a crash.
- Better visibility – An estimated 30 percent of motorcycle-car crashes occur because the vehicle driver fails to register the motorcyclist. Helmet use, along with reflective clothing, can help increase visibility and prevent accidents.
Legal advocacy in Los Angeles
There is ample evidence demonstrating that helmet use decreases the number of motorcycle accident brain injuries and deaths. Motorcycle riding is exhilarating, but also inherently more hazardous than driving a car. If you were injured in an accident and need skilled legal assistance, call the Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers at the Salamati Law Firm for a free case review.
Attorney Sean F. Salamati is well-versed in California legislation regarding motorcycle rider rights and offers his services on a contingency-fee basis. Arrange your free consult today.
Additional California motorcycle helmet law resources
- BikersRights.com, Mandatory Helmet Law http://www.bikersrights.com/states/california/california.html
- California DMV, California Motorcycle Handbook https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/af13374c-aa57-4f2b-9ac9-aa3fdc419cc9/dl665.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
- CDC, Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws — United States, 2008–2010 https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6123a1.htm