If you were in a car accident caused by someone else’s reckless or negligent behavior, you may be struggling with accumulating medical bills, lost wages from time missed at work, transportation costs while your vehicle is being repaired, and other expenses. You may be eligible to receive compensation for all of these losses, as well as pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and more.
After a crash, you only have one chance to obtain the full amount of car accident compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses, so it pays to enlist the services of a skilled legal advocate in California. Salamati Law has decades of experience litigating vehicle accident claims, procuring substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients. Protect your rights to fair compensation from negligent drivers by aligning yourself with a Los Angeles car accident lawyer who has a proven record of outstanding case results.
How much compensation is available in a car accident case?
Unlike some other states, California does not impose caps on damages awards available in car accident cases, as long as the injured party carried valid insurance at the time of the collision. The exact value of your case will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- The extent of your injuries, as documented by medical records
- The total amount of incurred and anticipated medical expenses
- Whether the injuries are temporary or permanent
- The course of your treatment and how many medical providers are involved
- The prospects for your recovery
- Whether the collision resulted in scarring, or disfigurement
- The degree of physical pain and emotional suffering
- How your injury has impacted your work, daily activities, sports played, and hobbies
- Whether you were partially at fault for the crash
- The clarity of the argument proving the other party’s fault for the crash.
Salamati Law has procured the following settlements and jury awards, indicating the sorts of compensation available in car accident cases. Keep in mind that every accident claim is unique, and individual results will vary and are not guaranteed from past successes.
- $2 million for motorcyclist suffering traumatic brain injury after being hit by car
- $906,000 for a pedestrian hit by a truck while in a store
- $825,000 for an auto accident victim
- $812,500 for car crash victim
- $625,000 for car crash victim requiring multiple surgeries
- $450,000 for client hurt by airport shuttle driver who ran a red light
Types of damages available: economic and non-economic
When a plaintiff is injured in a car accident, and able to prove the liability of the defendant, they can pursue economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages account for the actual costs that the plaintiff incurred from the car accident.
These may include:
- Medical expenses – Including ambulance fees, hospital stay costs, healthcare consultations, diagnostic tests, surgeries, prescription medications, and assistive devices
- Lost income and wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Physical therapy
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Costs for vehicle repair or replacement
Non-economic damages are less concrete and awarded for losses that are challenging to assign a dollar figure to. Examples of non-economic damages in a car accident case:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of activities
- Physical impairments or disfigurement
- Decreased quality of life
- Loss of companionship – Legal spouses of injured victims can claim that the accidents have deprived them of affection, consortium, and companionship.
The courts tend to analyze non-economic damages more subjectively, looking at all the evidence presented, as well as documentation of the plaintiff’s pain levels, and how the injury has impacted overall quality of life.
Maximize your car accident compensation in California
Proving the full extent of your economic and non-economic damages in a car accident case takes time, experience, and resources. The right personal injury attorney can gather compelling documentation and expert testimony to prove the validity of your claim. At Salamati Law, we focus solely on your needs, and work hard to ensure clients get maximum compensation for their losses.
To discuss the type of compensation available in your vehicle accident claim, contact our Los Angeles office today. The consultation is free and we operate on a no-win, no-fee basis.